Monday, June 1, 2009

Low-Fat Whole Wheat Vegan Microwave Brownies


It's been so long since I updated this blog, I guess I just haven't gotten very motivated to keep it up. Since my last post, however, I've made several changes to my basic diet. I continue to eat whole grains, but I stick to rice about 50% of the time, to keep most of my meals gluten-free. I also now stick to a 90% vegetarian, 80% vegan diet. I don't think I could ever give up meat entirely, but eating vegetarian/vegan keeps me healthier. Now, whenever I look up recipes, I try to go as vegan as possible.

I found this recipe this morning, while craving a chocolate fix. They take about 5 minutes in the microwave, and 10 minutes total including prep time. On the plus side, they satiate instant cravings, on the minus (?) side, they're so easy to make, you'll probably find you've already made them before your conscience kicks in and tells you "no". Also, the fact that they're made in the microwave means that in college, there will me no stopping me making these. Uh oh....

I found the original vegan recipe on recipezaar, but I changed it up quite a bit. I subbed in an extra banana for the oil because I had no applesauce. I'm sure either would work. I also added some baking soda just to make up for it, but I'm not quite sure if it did anything. I used light brown sugar instead of white, but they both work, I'm sure. I used whole wheat flour, instead of white, as always, and I added mint-chocolate chips. The recipe does call for chocolate chips, and though they're not necessary, I do recommend using them because they definitely make the recipe.

Oh, and one last thing... these are extremely "low-fat" in the sense that they don't have any butter, oil, eggs, or what have you in them, but they do have plenty of sugar and chocolate in them, so these shouldn't be eaten blindly, as if they have no effect on one's waistline.

So, without further ado, here's my Low-FatWhole Wheat Vegan Microwave Brownie Recipe


Recipe is for 8 good-sized brownies. Nutritional info is calculated w/ 2 bananas. Calories will be lower if using apple sauce.


Ingredients


  • 2 bananas, mashed (OR 1 banana, 1/4c unsweetened apple sauce)

  • 3/4 c sugar (light brown, unpacked OR white)

  • 1 t vanilla

  • 1 c whole wheat flour

  • 4 T cocoa powder

  • pinch of salt (optional)

  • pinch of baking soda

  • chocolate chips (normal, mint, whatever)

Directions



  1. Mix all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl. I like to leave the chips for last, and then just sprinkle them on top.

  2. Microwave on high for 4 to 5 minutes, depending on how chewy you want them.

  3. Let them cool a little bit (or don't! ;-) ) and dig in.


Nutrition Facts
8 Servings
Amount Per Serving
Calories 159.0
Total Fat 2.5 g
Saturated Fat 1.4 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 8.0 mg
Potassium 188.9 mg
Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
Sugars 2.7 g
Protein 2.8 g

2 comments:

  1. Oh girlfriend these are only 3 pts on WW and a typical brownie is 5 pts for a 1"x1" piece!!!! I'm definitely trying these! Going to the Whole Foods Co-Op to pick up the right ingredients! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! I'm glad these are the kind of recipe you're looking for! Thanks for getting me to post this, I'm going to have to start back up with this blog because I have tons of healthy recipes... so check back often for more!

    ReplyDelete