Thursday, April 9, 2009

Even Healthier Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

We all know that frozen yogurt is the healthier alternative to ice cream, but even compared to normal frozen this recipe is crazy healthy, and craaazy good.
It's amazing that something so simple could be so good. I made this today, and I didn't even follow the recipe measurements, it's that flexible. I snagged the original recipe from an MSNBC list of healthy, sweet snacks that won't spike your blood sugar and cause unwanted cravings which, in my case, usually lead to some form of what as commonly known as stuffing-of-the-face.
It's basically blending frozen strawberries, plain yogurt, and honey. Somehow the blending/food processing combined with the cold from the strawberries actually gives it an ice-creamy texture. It looks a bit runny in my picture, but that's probably due to my amazing lack of blender-wielding skills. I'm not much better with the food processor, but I'll probably try that next time. Or have my sister do it for me.
The official recipe says to serve it immediately and, to be frank, I really was not excited about freezing leftovers- didn't think the texture would work. In the end, though, sis had her half a mere 20 minutes later, so we couldn't really see how it would do after being frozen for extended periods of time. That's for you to find out. The original recipe only serves one, anyway, so ending up with massive amounts of home-made strawberry frozen yogurt should not be a major fear. Don't lose sleep over it.
Aaanyway. Without further ado, this is the magnificent recipe. Like I said, I didn't follow it, just froze as many strawberries that I could fit in a random tupperware container, then blended with 2 plain yogurts and a generous helping of honey. I then added honey as a topping, as you can see in the picture. My sister didn't.

This recipe serves one.

Ingredients
  • 3/4 c frozen strawberries
  • 1/3 c low-fat plain yogurt
  • 2 tsp honey

Directions

  1. Take the frozen strawberries out of the freezer and, using a serrated knife, carefully cut into chunks.
  2. In a blender or food processor (must have metal blade), pulse about 10 times to finely chop the strawberries.
  3. Add the yogurt and honey to the strawberries in the blender/processor.
  4. Process until smooth, or until you have reached wanted consistency. (Fruit chunks work for texture if you like.)
  5. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Facts (According to MSNBC)

Calories: 151
Carbohydrates (grams): 32
Calcium (milliggrams): 161
Fiber(g): 4
Omega-3 (g): 0.04
Vitamin D (IU): 0

No comments:

Post a Comment